From time to time we all tend to suffer from a cold, and occasionally we’re unlucky enough to get a bout of flu too. But how can we become less prone to these illnesses? Here’s how:
- Eat a balanced diet – The more varied your diet is the less likely you are to suffer from a cold. This is because you’re likely to have a higher intake of a wider range of nutrients. If you make sure that you also eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg a day then you’ll be even less likely to fall ill.
- Quit smoking – We all know that smoking’s really bad for us, but did you know that people who smoke are more susceptible to colds? Cutting down or cutting out cigarettes will help to boost your immune system, reduce your risk of cancer, bring your taste buds back to where they should be and reduce the frequency of colds and flu.
- Get more fresh air – If you tend to stay inside a lot you could be prone to more germs. This is because the air is likely to be stale and full of bacteria. If you don’t intend to get out as much, then open a window so fresh air gets in.
- Stay warm – If you get cold it’s likely you’ll be more immune to illnesses as your immune system will be working hard to fight off bacteria and germs. Stay warm, and you’re less likely to get the sniffles. Wrap up warm or simply put on an extra layer of clothing, this will make all the difference.
- Wash your hands – This is one of the most important things you can do in the fight to avoid colds and flu. We pick up a huge amount of bacteria every day, but washing it away can mean you’re less likely to fall ill.
- Do you have a cold already? – If you’re unlucky enough to already have a cold then make sure you take some paracetamol every 4 hours for the next 48 hours. Drunk plenty of fluids, and make sure you stay nice and warm. Remember to wash your hands, and make sure you dispose of any used tissues.
- Have you got the flu? – When you have the flu you know about it. You will be in bed for days, and occasionally find it hard to move. Make sure you get plenty of rest, stay warm and keep drinking lots of fluids. Doing this will help you to recover a lot quicker than you otherwise would.
Do you have a cold or the flu?
Source from mefirstliving.com.
If you follow the above tips, you will be less likely to avoid suffering from colds and flu. You may not stop suffering from them completely, but their frequency should diminish, and that has to be a good thing.